5.10.09

Singapore continued...

Leaving for a 'sidetrip' to Shanghai in the morning... all thanks to the fact that I've learned that it's in my best interest to respond with a simple 'yes' when I'm asked questions.

"Would you like to try this mooncake?"
"Would you like to do your laundry?"
"Would you like to visit Shanghai?"

Really, would you decline? Saying yes has thrown open doors that I never saw in front of me. What I find behind each door has been surprising and delightful. I've been enjoying the word 'delightful' immensely... or is it that I've been immensely delighted as of late. Regardless, I am both and it is good!

The whole idea of a travel-blog has been tossed to the winds. I've just had a short discussion (Hi Grace!) regarding documenting one's experiences while on a trip. I've taken half as many pictures as I'd expected to, having been rather content to see my surroundings with my own eyes and not necessarily through a lens. I could see with my own eyes and then document it with my camera, but this motion inevitably becomes repetitive and it almost gets in the way of one's natural movements... bottomline, I've been too busy experiencing my trip to formally document it. Blogging is an afterthought, to debrief, and I hope it'll suffice for you the reader... and any of my friends who were hoping to live vicariously through this 2-month trip. :)

I thought this blog would be more about Singapore, but I'm struggling with well, my words. I'd concocted an entire paragraph on how I see the country as a visitor (rather than a family member visiting family), but the only remnant of that paragraph will be this shortened version which unfortunately still sounds like a thesis statement to a stale school essay:

I'd described Singapore as glossy. I stand by the observation (not a difficult one to make) that Shopping is a national sport. Yes the S in Shopping was capitalized. It's THAT serious. Any features that may have been authentic has been replaced by rampant commercialization. The country is constantly making 'improvements' and the entire island is under construction, all on pace to turn it into what appears to be, sadly,... one gigantic resort. It does still impress with its world-class attractions and super-chic shopping districts, but as a whole. It just... isn't...charming?

Whew. Strangely enough, that was not easy to type.

So onto fun and easy: I had fun. Truly. Different if not normal type of fun. MRT-hopping' Hawker-centers-piggin' out type of fun. I went to F-1 and saw a variety of... well I think technically they're called 'vroom-vrooms'... only in practice, but nontheless, fun. I saw the views from the 38th floor of a condo-showroom... stunning. I sat by the Esplanade and enjoyed the lull and lights of the Singaporean skyline at night. I played Street Fighter at the Arcades under Bughis Junction... I ate Satay (meat on sticks!) and drank a pint of Tiger Beer at the Satay Club in Clarke Quay and chuckled at the sight of Hooter Girls...

But what MADE this part of my journey... is this little place in the Chinatown district when you exit the Outram Park MRT station. OSO Ristorante is the name, I'll never forget the music, the magic, the moment... when I... bit... into... my first morsel of foie gras. I may not have a dish like that anytime soon, if ever, but I'll always have that moment... that night... sigh. Beautiful. Just... beautiful. This place will stay with me for a long time.

I think I'll leave Singapore on this delicious note... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment